Monday, June 11, 2012

Pedi brag

I have to brag on my (I mean Kade and Ky's) pediatrician. I love him. :) The office we go to actully has two doctors and a NP that we see, and I truly like them all. I feel like they listen to me. But the one we see most often is just awesome. Kade had her 15 month old check up today, but has been running a fever for the last few days. I go into the office not knowing which doctor I'm going to get (they told me, I just forgot), and expecting to have to argue my way out of getting vaccines. This is where his awesomeness comes in. He automatically suggests no vaccines :) He also goes on to tell me that really, she's fine until 18 months :) :) I love his reasoning :) While he is being a complete fountain of information, spouting off important, non traditional information (cause who likes the traditional kind? DUH, I know not to let my baby near a pool unsupervised. Plus, they have a hand out for that), I decide to make a point to my dear old Hubby (he is only very slightly on the side of delayed vaccines). I asked Dr. Gilbert why it is recommended for newborns to recieve the Hep B vaccine... and was smiling for the next five minutes. He said he DOESN'T recommend that they get it, that his kids (he has five, his youngest turns one this week) don't get it as newborns, and that he really isn't sure WHY our hospital still recommends all newborns get it because the fact is, NOT ALL NEWBORNS NEED THE HEP B VACCINE. (DUH).
Later in the visit (I never feel like he's rushing), he gives me the option of putting Kaedrianna on an antibiotic. GASP! :) He did a strep test that came back negative, but her throat was very red and she had been very irritable. He said she could probably fight the infection off by herself, but that if it got worse I could bring her back in. We both felt like she didn't need the antibiotic at this point. I just love that he includes me in diagnosing her... because who knows her better than me?
I would have definitely stopped brasetfeeding Kyson as a newborn if not for him (and Dr Bell). Not once did either one suggest that I supplement with formula, even though Kyson was pretty jaundiced and it took us a while to clear it up. They are also great for returning phone calls after hours for questions and semi-emergencies.
The only negative thing is that they are about 35 minutes away from us. All other things are positive! They make raising my kiddos a whole lot less stressful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment